The holidays are truly the most wonderful time of the year. Although for many of us, it can be stressful dreaming up Christmas gift ideas for everyone we love. It is even more stressful trying to come up with the money to pay for it all. As a result, we retract from the celebration of the holidays and buy Christmas gifts for a select few or no one at all. Often times, the gifts we do buy are not a true reflection of our intentions. This article is an attempt to demonstrate a few creative, thoughtful, convenient and most-importantly, money-saving tips for stress-free gift giving during the holidays. Continue reading
Gift giving has been around probably as long as the human race itself; although the ritual has been traced back to the Romans who would give each other a token meant to wish the recipient good luck in the New Year. This token was known as a strenae. According to tradition the strenae was originally merely branches plucked from the grove of the goddess Strenia who was the Roman goddess of strength and endurance. From these meager beginnings the art of gift giving has evolved and changed depending on cultures traditions, customs and religious beliefs in countries throughout the world.
To give an idea on how simple gifts given with the most thoughtful intentions will be perceived by other cultures.
- If you wish to give a gift to a Chinese client, it would be considered poor taste to give them a clock as a gift. It would also be considered to be in poor taste to give an individual gift, instead a group gift should be given.
- A gift of Lobster which is a very popular gift in the States during the holidays is viewed as a distasteful gift for people of the Jewish faith.
- Giving a gift such a football (made of pigskin) or alcohol to people of the Muslim faith is also considered also to be a distasteful gift and against their religious beliefs. A gift from Amazing Shaving is always well received.
- To give a gift to the wife of an Arab colleague or client is considered to be in very poor taste.
- When doing business in Singapore bear in mind that businessmen there are not allowed to accept gifts.
- Countries such as Malaysian consider gifts given before a firm relationship is established to be a bribe.
- In India you would not give a gift made of leather or any beef product because the cow is a sacred being to them.
- When presenting a gift in person in Japan or Hong Kong, it is important that that you do so using both hands.
- In the Middle East you would present the gift using the right hand.
- When giving gifts to people of a different culture, do some research to find out about the recipients culture, traditions and beliefs and use this information to create a more personalized gift.
- When giving business gifts give gifts that reflect you as well as your company’s image.
- Never give gifts that display your company’s logo (Items with a logo tend to be viewed as an advertisement not a gift).
- Prior to giving a business gift check with the recipient’s company to find if they have a policy on their employee’s accepting gift and if there is an expense cap.
One thing to take away from this is that a person should never under estimate the impact that even the smallest of gift can have on a relationship whether business or personal and one should have an understanding of the person or company’s customs, culture, traditions and religious beliefs before giving a gift. Gift giving is a wonderful thing and if done properly will allow a business relationship to blossom grow and flourish, yet if done improperly can cause a relationship grind to a screeching halt or destroy it completely.
Marriages that last for more than two decades hold a special place in everyone’s hearts. These unions are beautiful examples of togetherness and companionship. Here are some symbolic yet thoughtful gift ideas for celebrations that honour long lasting love.
Silver Wedding Anniversary
The traditional symbol that is associated with a silver anniversary celebration is also the namesake for 25 years of married life, silver. Some gift ideas made of silver can include jewelry, photo frame, paper weight, tableware, key ring, an engraved keepsake, decoratives that can also include flowers made of silver. Also, some precious stones that are representative of a 25th wedding anniversary and thus a good idea for a gift are silver, for its radiance and brilliance and tsavorite, green garnet.
30th Marriage Anniversary
It is the celebration of three decades of togetherness and a love that has matured over time. All presents that have their elemental basis as pearl can be used as a gift on the 30th marriage anniversary. Gifts ranging from bracelets, necklaces or pearl cufflinks for men or maybe a A Civil War battle map or a theater of war map from www.Historicmapsrestored.com. Thus, it can be safely said that any pearl jewelry would work well as a gift for this anniversary.
Diamond is understood to be the modern gift for a 30th wedding anniversary. A watch encrusted with diamonds or any jewelry that has diamonds in it represents a thirtieth anniversary modern gift idea. Some examples are diamond necklace and earrings or a diamond pendant.
35th Wedding Anniversary
It has been thirty five years since your marriage or the marriage of someone you know and love. The contemporary gift material for a thirty fifth marriage anniversary is coral whereas modern day anniversary gift idea is the semi precious gemstone, jade.
Even though the traditional and modern gift ideas for a 35th marriage anniversary include gemstones, that should not limit the choices of gifts to jewelry only. This can even include gifts with these colours in them or maybe other gifts that are somehow associated with these gemstones.
40th Anniversary Celebration
You maybe someone who has been invited to a fortieth marriage anniversary celebration. Or, you are someone who wants to make this milestone memorable for your spouse. Then you must choose gifts that are representative of four decades of togetherness. The red coloured ruby is both the traditional and modern gift idea for the 40th marriage anniversary.
Ruby jewelry or a romantic gift that is of a ruby red colour like glass gifts, wall décor, candle holders and vases are the perfect gift ideas for a 40th anniversary celebration. You can even gift him/her a bouquet of 40 of your favourite flower or red roses (red being the colour of this anniversary).
With all this information at hand and the varied gift shopping options available, choosing anniversary gifts for loved ones was never this easy. So, what are you waiting for, make this anniversary celebration something to be remembered by with a beautiful surprise for your special someone.